Friday, August 2, 2013

Let's Be Real

Two nights ago as I nursed Hattie in the dark, with quiet surrounding us, with little noises squeaking out of her and after reading my Bible devotional book I stood up to burp her and was met with the most wonderful feelings of love.  My little one was snuggled against my shoulder, we were cheek to cheek and I could feel her soft hair and smell her delicious baby smell.  "This is my favorite part of the day," I thought.  Here is my little one, who won't be little for too long and we are snuggling and I'm providing for her and she's sleeping.  My little girl, my answer to prayer.  Ahhhhh.

Now let's be real, as my friend Marriah would say.  These feelings don't last all day.  In fact, the day after this blissful experience was just not great.  I pushed us.  I pushed us to do more than we are able to do at this point.  The boys were fine, they are used to being on the go, but Hattie is not.  She needs her sleep at home.  She needs consistency and a schedule.  I need a break from the hustle and bustle of the day.  Neither of us got a nap or a rest in the afternoon and it made for a terrible evening.  To top it off, Jeff was not home last night until late so I was alone.  However, God was there and He reminded me that she would sleep, I would sleep, the boys would sleep and we would all be happy once again.

But again, let's be real!  Motherhood is sooooo difficult.  It really is.  In between the beautiful cards you receiving telling you to enjoy the time because it goes so fast, is reality.  Reality is dirty laundry, dirty dishes, dishes that need to be put away, 3 sets of teeth that need to be brushed, bottoms wiped, faces washed, showers had, vitamins to give, phone calls to make, bills to pay, birth certificates to get, food to make, food to clean up, toys to play with, calls of "Mommy!" to answer, and more. How do we do it all?  I've been asking myself this a lot this past 6 weeks.  Prior to Hattie we had a good system down-well the boys were almost 5 of course, so they had matured and were "easier".  Now nothing seems to be easy.  We watch way more TV than I ever thought I would allow, the quality of the TV shows has gone way down, we sometimes skip veggies at a meal, sometimes my teeth don't get brushed until way late in the day, I wear the same clothes over and over, my hair is in a perpetual pony tail, shoes get put on in the car after we reach our destination, piles are made in the house, toys are not picked up, spills become stickier, the house looks like it threw up baby stuff and I neglect myself.  Of course I knew having a 3rd and a baby wouldn't be easy. I think that's why I was so nervous throughout my pregnancy.  I remember having two babies, it was HARD!

Truth be told, my kids are super good! (most of the time) and my sweet little one is a really good baby.  But we all have fussy times (I know I do).  At the end of the day things are harder, life is harder, headaches are pounding and kids are demanding.  So, should I complain?  Probably not, but again, "Let's be real,"  this parenting thing is tough.  I will complain a bit, cuz if I don't, I will go crazy.  Thank goodness I have a husband who listens and supports, a mother who can relate and wonderful wonderful friends who are in the thick of things with me.  Gosh, what would I do without them.  Then of course, there is my God.  My God whom answers me when I call, who listens, who knows, who made me and my children and understands the mother's cries.  

So, when times get tough and I think I can't do this baby thing any more, I will remember my snuggles with my little girl and remember Who gave her to me.  That I am blessed beyond measure and my prayers were answered. 

Let's be real, life is pretty good.

No comments: